Thursday, June 5, 2008

That's gratitude for you

Once, when I was whingeing to my mother about my son, she said something that stopped me in my tracks.

"Don't go expecting gratitude from your children."

Now there are two ways of taking this and I took both. She's right - absolutely right - it's the way of the world. And I think she was making a small point too. Incidentally, I think it's difficult to get your head around how much your parents loved you until you have your own kids. Then it blows you away.

Anyway, I say this because tomorrow on the show we're doing a talkback on feeling appreciated. We all need to feel appreciated, both at work and at home. Stephanie Dowrick will be my guest and I think quite a few people will ring in. Hope so.

1 comment:

philo said...

Thanks for the LM show Richard, been integral to my morning. Did listen to 'gratitude' last week, but a comment for your blog in the appreciation stakes from children. It will all come at a moment you least expect it. Recently married (3rd time)and with 4 grown children from my 1st marriage and two who are step children (hate that word step, they surprised us with comments at the wedding reception that showed us that though they may not say much in thanks over the years, they don't miss a trick. The gratitude and appreciation for who we are and how we have been as parents had more than the two of us, wet eyed.
Unlooked for, it comes as a joy out of the blue. Cheers Phil